Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sushilicious!!!


My Asian Theme Continues with this entry... and maybe the next... then I will vary it up. So I am visiting Bremerton for the weekend. I went to my friend Bridget's house and spent a wonderful day with her and her family. Bridget's family is basically eating the same way I am, but for the most part have been doing it longer and are far more skilled and refined at the task. It was so great to have toast and cookies and soup and a fritata...did I mention I was there all day... all that I could eat without having to feel like I was making special requests. Anyway so we made sushi together.

We made a few kinds. Just a veggie roll, a tofu roll, an avocado roll, a salmon roll (which I think is like an Alaska roll from sushi.com), and a California roll (in the sense that the rice was on the outside of the nori... and it was sprinkled with sesame seeds.) I took pics of the whole process. I will include the instructions for making the rice. And some notes about the steps how.... but I am mostly going to let the pictures speak for themselves here.

A side note we used brown rice, and I have decided to stick to only brown rice, unless only white is available. Most sushi is made with white rice. But the brown rice worked just fine and they tasted great. OK so we begin...

This is the season rice vinegar we used.
Sushi Rice Recipe

*Rinse 2/3 cup of rice well and bring to a boil with 1 cup water.
*Reduce heat to low and cover,about 40 minutes, until water is absorbed.
*Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered, 10 minutes.
*Transfer rice to a wide nonmetal bowl
*Sprinkle with 2 tbsp vinegar.
*Gently stir it in.
*Cool rice about 15 minutes.

All of our ingredients. We have white and black sesame seed, Nori, and Salmon (this was canned red Alaskan salmon... With only salmon and salt listed in the ingredients. It was cheaper and worked just fine), Also baked tofu ( you could use my previous recipe from the spring rolls). And the veggies.















We used avocado, carrots, cucumber, and green onion... you can be creative. The best and easiest way to cut them is in as long of strips as possible.

























Place nori, shiny side down. You can see in the picture little creased lines on the nori. You are going to only put rice in between the 1st and last line, leaving about an inch at each end.















This is Gillian. She loves to help cook. Sushi is a great way for kids to help, Since there are no stoves involved once the rice is made.


















Once you have your thin layer of rice on your nori, spreading it gently with a knife, on one edge start adding your ingredients.

















Alaska salmon roll.


















Tofu roll


















Technically I think you are supposed to use the mat when rolling them, but we found we were able to get a tighter roll without it. Roll edge over the ingredients first. Try to roll it all as tightly as you can.


















When you get to the other edge after rolling it, you will "paint", as Gillian calls it, that left over inch of nori with water so that it will stay put in a roll.





We then refrigerated them for a while, but you don't have to. Slice them into about 6 pieced with a very sharp, or serrated knife, and serve with ginger, wasabi, and tamari.















And there you have it. We like tripled the rice recipe and made 12 rolls.













Sushi makes us happy!






I have a couple other blogs coming soon, it was a busy week last week, but stay tuned for a recipe for a curry chicken dinner, a salmon dinner, stuffed peppers, and a review of a restaurant I found in spokane with its very own gluten free menu. I promise some non Asian food recipes soon, it is just so easy to make them gluten free.

As for a health update, Monday makes 4 weeks on this diet. I have lost 5 pounds, but the good news is it seems to be coming off in the right places. My energy is up a bit, my sleep schedule is improving, and I am not cramping when I eat anymore... so all good news.

Have a great day.

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates