Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Unexpected Free Day


My four hour class at school was cancelled today. So I wanted to get a jump on some weekend goals. I wanted to hit Target and buy a scale, something I swore I would never own. I wanted to finally get my deck garden actually planted... I am very excited for all the fresh herbs, tomatoes, snap peas, shallots, and green onions that I hope to actually be able to produce in it. But I was pretty down for the count today. I just was hurting. My back hurt my stomach hurt... I was coughing up some blood this morning... a newer development for me. This is most likely attributed to ulcers in my esophagus. Anyway so I got up took my pills... made my smoothie.... then went back to bed. I did have a goal however ...

Goal: Drink 8 glasses of water....
I actually did drink.... 8 glasses of water.

For breakfast I had my smoothie with fresh strawberries and coconut milk and almonds and cod liver oil, brown rice protein, and Aloe Vera Juice. The aloe is supposed to soothe the pain on my insides. I took my many pills... including a probiotic.

Here is a pretty good link to explain the benefits of a Probiotic. I hesitated to use them because they are 20 to 30 dollars a bottle, but I have decided it is worth it for the what they do.

By about 5 pm I was feeling well enough to head to the grocery store and then make dinner. So I turned on the Weepies on my ipod and got to work.

Today I made gluten free foccacia bread with caramelized onions, rosemary, and goat cheese for the first time. I am a cook not much of a baker. I used a recipe from 1000 Gluten Free Recipes by Carol Fenster. It actually turned out pretty darn good.

I made this to go along with my favorite sausage and kale soup. A recipe I got from a friend. I couldn't find turkey sausage (She uses pork sausage) at the grocery store I went to, so I just bought ground turkey and spiced it up. Here is the recipe... it is super easy but super good.



So first :

In a large pot add:
1 qt of Chicken Broth.. I use the Pacific organic free range broth, mainly cause it has no refined sugars which is rare.
3 medium red potatoes sliced
2 cups packed Kale, roughly chopped with stems removed
1 tbsp of Fennel seed
1/2 lb of ground turkey, browned and seasoned with:
2 Tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flake (I like spice)
1 tsp steak seasoning

let all of this cook on medium low heat at least until the potatoes are cooked through. I let it sit until the bread was done.


Any way a simple recipe... but very nummy.

1 comments:

Jerod Schmidt said...

Hell yeah way to go friend! Bread does sound really good and I love the blog name. I am glad that you are doing this cuz this is soo your thing to do. Loves ya!;)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates