Saturday, May 8, 2010

Quinoa Cakes topped with Yummy



I was watching the food network the other day and someone made quinoa cakes, but it wasn't a cooking show so I didn't get a recipe, so I made my own recipe.
Here's what you'll need:
1 cup Cooked quinoa ( I cooked mine in chicken stock for flavor)
1 or 2 chopped green onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup packed chopped spinach
1 egg
1/3 cup carol's sorghum blend (see cupcake recipe)
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tbsp olive oil (not for the pan)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch of salt
1/4 black pepper



Steps:
1. Heat frying pan with a tbsp or so of canola or olive oil
2. Mix all ingredients together until they are binded enough together to form a small 3 inch patty.
3. Cook each patty on medium heat a couple minutes on each side until light brown and crisp. (The thinner the patty the crispier it gets, and the shorter the cooking time.



To top them:
You really could top them with anything from tofu, to veggies, to chicken, or to shrimp I went with what I had in my fridge, that and I can't have shrimp. So started with a slice of cucumber, topped that with a little cod, added a slice of avocado, topped it with lemon Dijon aioli I will post the recipe below), then a little dill.

A couple other ideas that may work... I had some mango salsa and Jalapeno slaw in my fridge (but there is a different recipe with them I am posting). You could use peppers and shredded carrot. You could try goat cheese, tomatoes, and salmon... really anything. You can add cilantro, parsley, dill, or chives or whatever too.

My lemon Dijon Aioli Recipe

I used my homemade mayo... (leisurely lunch blog)
I added about 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp of Dijon mustard. 1/2 tsp paprika, 1tsp rice substitute Parmesan cheese. And that was it... it was pretty good.

That's it for today's blogs... back to school work!

2 comments:

bridget said...

I love this Crystal, you are so creative! Definitely going on this week's dinner menu!

Tweeter said...

this looks amazing!

Template by:
Free Blog Templates