Monday, May 17, 2010

Fish Tacos With a Guacamole and Spicy Black Bean Dip Appetizer



My guilty food pleasure of all time is Taco Bell. I love it. I know how bad it is for me. I know that there is nothing healthy about it. But I don't care I love it, and it has been over two months since I had Taco Bell, and it would be nice to say I don't miss it... but that would be a lie. So I have been trying to come up with replacements for the craving. This did not compare, but only because it wasn't made of rehydrated beans and dry meat. So here it is...

The first recipe will be a simple guacamole... its the classic recipe but here it is anyway



2 diced avocados
1 diced tomato ( or 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes)
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
Juice of half a lime
salt and pepper to taste

mix it all together, and your good to go.

On to the spicy black bean dip:




This recipe actually comes from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Allison Segersten and Tom Malterre.

1. Start by sauteing 1 small diced onion, 1 small jalapeno, 3 cloves of crushed garlic in a table spoon of heated olive oil. on medium heat until onions are soft.

2. Add 2 cans rinsed and drained black beans, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tbsp of chili powder, saute another minute or so.

3. Scrape all of this into a food processor making sure to scrape all the spices with it. Process until smooth.



4. Add 1 to 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 tsp sea salt.. or to taste. Then process again.

5. Remove from processor and serve in dish, first mixing in 1-2 diced tomatoes.




Thats it... pretty easy. Serve it with corn tortilla chips. Ok onto the Tacos.

So I started by making a Lime jalapeno cabbage slaw...


I used about a cup of a pre-shredded cabbage blend. It was just cheaper and easier.
Then I added about 1 tbsp of my homemade mayo (here's the link to the recipe) I added 1/2 of a finely chopped jalapeno, and squeeze a half a lime into it and add some salt and pepper to taste. I know the yellow lemon squeezer thing in the picture seems like a useless tool, but it is becoming my favorite tool. It gets the most seedless juice for my lime. Anyway that is it.

Then I made a mango and pinto bean salsa.....


1. Mix together 1 small onion diced, 1-2 cups of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1 small diced jalapeno, juice a half a lime, 1 mango diced, 2 cloves diced garlic, and 1 cup drained and rinced pinto beans.

I let it sit in the fridge while I prepared the rest. I used the left overs in another dinner by just mixing it with left over brown rice, and pre-cooked chicken on a day I was in a hurry. It was done in 5 minutes... a handy tool on a diet like this.

Ok so lets finish off the tacos....

1. I cooked some cod in a little olive oil seasoning with salt and pepper.

2. I heated some soft corn tortillas in a little canola oil. Until each side was slightly crisp. Then I folded the tortillas into the taco shape to cool.

3. So then just assembly... fish, then slaw, then mango salsa, then topped with 3 slices of avocado.



And that is it... not taco bell... but better and healthier. A couple things to know...
the lime is vital to the guacamole to help it last longer... maybe 24 hours longer but still.

The taco shells are delicious... but don't reheat well so make them as you need them

and the Avocado on the top of the tacos adds a creaminess that allowed me not to miss the cheese and sour cream as much.

That's all for now. Have a great night!

1 comments:

tangeria said...

this looks so freakin' good. now my tummy is growling...

Template by:
Free Blog Templates