Saturday, May 8, 2010

What a Bountiful Basket!!



I have now 10 meals, restaurants, and desserts that have been photographed and are ready to be blogged about. I am going to post two blogs today in hopes to make up for it. Really it is just me needing a break from school work.

I recently, as in this week, joined a food co-op group in spokane called Bountiful Baskets. It is 15 bucks a week and I got a large laundry basket worth of produce. The deal is the more people that join the cheaper the produce options. The catch is, you have a very short window to pick up your produce at one of two pre-selected by you locations, and they ask if at all possible that members help put baskets together at 5am ish. My sister-in-law told me about it and she helps put them together, but as I live 30 minutes from spokane, and don't really do 5am, she also picks it up for me, and this time she got me extra bananas.



Pictured above you see lettuce, kale, potatoes, cauliflower, corn on the cob, celery, apples, oranges, pears, cantaloupe, and bananas (minus 2 I ate) all in all a really great deal. It is sort of a you get what you get and you don't get upset type thing, but it does inspire my new money and time saving plan. This is to make my menu on Saturdays for the week based around my basket. It will vary since the produce varies.

On a side note, my garden is starting to sprout! Oh so exciting, all the fresh herbs + my bountiful basket= less $ and trips to the grocery store! Hip hip hooray!

2 comments:

bridget said...

ohhh...time for crispy Kale!!

Crystal said...

Yes!! I actually tried calling you yesterday to see which cookbook that recipe was in... I am excited to try and then steal it and blog about it!

Template by:
Free Blog Templates